An Italian aid worker kidnapped in Afghanistan last month has been released.
Afghan Interior Minister Ali Ahmed Jalali told a news conference in Kabul Thursday that Clementina Cantoni was released after 24 days in captivity and is in good health.
He said no ransom was paid and the government did not give any concessions to the kidnappers to secure her release.
Italian Foreign Minister Gianfranco Fini welcomed Ms. Cantoni's release and expressed "enormous relief." Officials have not revealed the demands of Ms. Cantoni's kidnappers or their identity except to say they are criminals, not Islamic militants.
The 32-year-old Ms. Cantoni was abducted by armed men on May 16th as she was being driven to her home in the Afghan capital.
Information for this report is provided by AP, AFP and Reuters.