သံုးရလြယ္ကူေစသည့္ Link မ်ား

Body Recovery Operations Under Way in New Orleans

  • VOA News

Recovery teams in New Orleans are carrying out door-to-door searches to recover the bodies of victims of Hurricane Katrina, which struck the southern U.S. coast on August 29th.

More than 300 people are known to have been killed in the city and other hard-hit locations along the Gulf of Mexico.

The death toll is certain to rise, but New Orleans' chief of emergency operations Colonel Terry Ebbert says searches have turned up fewer bodies than expected, giving hope that some early estimates of 10,000 dead are wrong.

Colonel Ebbert says the search will be conducted with dignity, and no media or cameras will be allowed to cover the body recovery efforts.

Television news reports in recent days have shown decaying bodies lying in the open among debris and floating in polluted floodwaters. Some bodies have likely been untouched for 12 days.

New Orleans is under a mandatory evacuation order, but authorities are so far avoiding the use of force to remove the few thousand remaining residents.

President Bush is scheduled to make a third visit to the region Sunday to survey the damage.

ဆက္စပ္သတင္းမ်ား ...

XS
SM
MD
LG