Russia says it is prepared to launch pre-emptive strikes against terrorist bases anywhere in the world.
Colonel General Yuri Baluyevsky, chief of the Russian General Staff, told reporters the strikes would be a last resort in the fight against terrorism.
Russia has also announced a $10 million reward for information that would help "neutralize" two Chechen separatists.
The Federal Security Service says the men, former Chechen President Aslan Maskhadov and separatist leader Shamil Basayev, were behind last week's deadly school hostage assault and other attacks in Russia.
On Tuesday, Russian television aired footage that it said was filmed by the attackers during the school standoff. The video showed scores of children and others packed in a school gym wired with explosives.
Russian officials say more than 360 people, including 30 attackers, were killed as the standoff ended Friday with explosins, fire and a hail of gunfire.
Information for this report is provided by AP, AFP and Reuters.